Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Favorite Books

Well, we are all moved into our new home and have started orientation for grad school... so in honor of me not being a preschool teacher anymore (I guess I should change the name of my blog, huh?) I am posting my list of favorite kids books which was another thing I found in the moving process (I definitely planned to do this a long time ago, you know how it is....)

So, I made this list for Jason when he started working at a bookstore so that he could be a children's book expert.  I don't think he ever used it, but I am glad I made it so I can remember which books I like the best.

Favorite author/illustrators:

  • Don & Audrey Wood:  The Napping House (my very most favorite); King Bidgood's in the Bathtub 

  • David Shannon:  No, David!; How I Became a Pirate; A Bad Case of Stripes

  • Kevin Henkes: Chrysanthemum (another very favorite); Owen; A Weekend with Wendell; the Lilly stories; Kitten's First Full Moon

  • Eric Carle: The Very Hungry Caterpillar (classic!); The Very Quiet Cricket, etc. etc.

  • Jan Brett: The Hat; The Mitten; The Umbrella

  • Lois Ehlert: Planting a Rainbow; Leaf Man; Growing the Alphabet

  • Dr. Seuss: One Fish Two Fish (my most favorite Seuss); The Foot Book; The Cat in the Hat (I could recite much of this...); The Sneetches; The Sleep Book... just to name a few
Other random favorites (with commentary, of course):
  • Robert Munsch:  He wrote the tear-jerker "Love You Forever" but most of his stories are really funny and best if you get them as audiobooks with him reading... hilarious

  • Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park:  Junie B. is this generation's Ramona Quimby, but even funnier (although with worser grammar); very exciting for early "chapter books"

  • Fluffy series by Kate McMullen: also chapter books, about a guinea pig with a big ego... they're pretty cute

  • Froggy books by Jonathan London:  he always has something to be embarrassed about ...

  • Curious George books: also classic =)

  • Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

  • If You Give a Mouse a Cookie: there are many "spin-offs" of this...the original is my favorite

  • Click Clack Moo Cows that Type: just very silly

  • Goodnight Moon

  • Parts; More Parts; Even More Parts--by Tedd Arnold: all about how kids misunderstand common idioms... really funny for adults, amusing for older kids, just kinda freaks out/confuses the little ones.
That's all I have for right now... again, if anybody actually reads this and has anything to add, I'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

Meredith Mammano said...

you have a great list of books would you consider addind mine to the list. check out my blog and see if it sounds like something you might like.

Just Call Me Grammy said...

I agree about the Parts books, very cute but totally lost on little ones.

I finally posted again. I have TONS of pics from yesterday. We missed you.